Sunday, May 17, 2009

Self-directed painting project.

This was my painting proposal:

" My final painting project consists of six 20” x 20” paintings. The images were originally from photos from World War II and from the 1970s around the civil rights movement. I had cropped the images in order to abstract and take the images out of context. I crop the images so that the action is highlighted and the faces are cropped to avoid recognition. My method of choosing the colors is by randomly picking colors on a pantone color swatch book. Judging the value of the color chosen, I then pick where the color will be applied according to the values in the picture. My rule is that I have to use the chosen color, even if they do not work together. Once the base color is chosen, I can alter the tones to define forms. By working on all six paintings at the same time, I will maintain my gestural and energetic brushwork throughout the whole series.

I am trying to explore new ways of painting and working with randomness, because I am intrigued by the unpredictable outcome. By using this method, I am addressing the role of intuition and subconsciousness in art. The randomness of the colors forces my brain to actively think about how different colors work together and the dynamics they create. It is interesting for me to see how these potentially clashing colors work together to form a coherent painting. The paintings will be displayed together so that they will form a mass of color. Through this method I hope viewers will see the paintings first for its colors, and then recognize and be intrigued about the subject matter."







I will upload the process shots to these paintings soon.

No comments: